A Self-Help Strategy for Defeating Stuttering Blocks by Valsalva Control, by William D. Parry, Esq., CCC-SLP. Website: www.stutteringtherapist.com. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part 5: Valsalva Control Exercises; The Fluency Cycle
Excerpts from a workshop on Valsalva Control Therapy for Stuttering presented at the National Stuttering Associations Annual Conference and Research Symposium -Scottsdale, Arizona, July 2009. This presentation describes a promising, but still experimental approach to stuttering therapy. It is not intended to be a substitute for individual diagnosis and treatment by a qualified speech-language pathologist or other appropriate medical specialist. For further information, see Bill Parry’s website at
About Bill Parry:
– A formerly severe stutterer who became a successful trial lawyer, through the use of Valsalva Control;
– Published the Valsalva Hypothesis in the Journal of Fluency Disorders (1985);
– Founded the Philadelphia Area Chapter of the National Stuttering Association in 1985;
– Led local NSA support group meetings for 15 years;
– Member of the NSA’s Board of Directors for 6 years;
– Presented national and international workshops on Valsalva Control for stuttering;
– Wrote Understanding & Controlling Stuttering: A Comprehensive New Approach based on the Valsalva Hypothesis;
– Received M.A. in Speech, Language & Hearing Science from Temple University;
– Now ASHA-certified and practicing Speech-Language Pathology in the Philadelphia area.
Copyright 2009 by William D. Parry